Monday, November 5, 2012

Tower Up! 2012 SkyRise Climb

Happy Monday Everyone!

I had quite the accomplishment yesterday with 5 of my ladies! We climbed the Willis (Sears) Tower! It was a total of 103 flights of stairs! I had decided to sign-up on my Birthday in July this year as a big accomplishment that I could call my own. The climb benefits the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (RIC), where they believe that anyone can soar to great heights! RIC gives patients the tools they need to restore ability following a stroke, brain injury or other trauma or illness. This is for a wonderful cause and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to raise money for RIC and climb up 2,109 stairs to the top.


I was able to convince 5 of my friends to join me yesterday, and while we're so thankful that it's over, it was truly an unbelievable experience. I was so nervous while we were waiting in line to start but the relief and sense of accomplishment at the end was worth it. 





Above you can see how some of the RIC participants crank their way to the sky via hand power. Just above is the picture of us waiting to climb. It was crazy to wait for about 30 minutes in line before actually being able to take our first step!

While most of us had not trained as much as we had liked, we all could not believe how motivating it was to climb up with  the RIC's patients, some with bionic arms and robotic legs. Every time I felt a little fatigued or thinking I couldn't make it to the top, I thought about why we were all climbing and pushed through.

28 minutes later, Katie and I finished and were greeted by screaming RIC's patients eagerly waiting to give us our medals. It was the best feeling and I couldn't control my emotions when I received my medal. I was so taken back by their enthusiasm and encouragement throughout the climb and especially at the top. 


 Gorgeous Views of the city from the top!!


 Our feet on the Ledge!!




 We all had a great time playing on the Ledge overlooking the city! It was a great way to celebrate our accomplishment, dangling atop the tower! It was probably the fastest that I'll ever make it up to the top. I recommend taking the stairs vs. the elevators the next time you go to visit!

 Team Ogilvy sitting on the Ledge!










All of us at the top! 

A BIG Thank you to my five ladies that completed the Climb with me! I couldn't have done it without all of you! Thanks for being adventurous with me :)

If you want to sign up for the next SkyRise climb here is the website: Tower Up!





1 comment: